We are a luxury design brand with an unwavering commitment to crafting products that are built to last—from timepieces to leather goods, jewelry to audio. Founded in 2011, our company operates an in-house watch and leather factory on the fifth floor of the historic Argonaut Building, where a team of artisans hand assembles luxury timepieces and crafts premium leather straps. We create opportunities for our team members through skilled training and partner with legacy companies around the world to manufacture specialty items. With quality at our foundation, we celebrate thoughtful design and the beauty of industry through every product we make.
Employees & Partners
Today, Shinola employs over 500 people, with an average of 100 in manufacturing at any given time depending on the production needs. We proudly design all of our products in Detroit and globally source the best possible components. We also work with seasoned manufacturers both in the United States and around the world that meet our high standards of quality across a variety of categories.
Commitment To Quality
We believe our products should be built to last and we stand behind the quality craftsmanship of everything we make. We utilize handmade production processes for our watches, bicycles, leather goods, jewelry and audio.
- In 2012, we transformed 12,000 square feet of raw space into a state-of-the-art watch factory in Detroit.
- Our watch teams had extensive training through Ronda AG, our Swiss partner. We continue to train local members of our team on the fine craft of movement and watch assembly.
- Our production combines meticulous hand-assembly with the most advanced technology available to ensure our watches are both beautiful and built to last.
- Our factory assembles between 500 and 700 watches per day.
- More than 30 people participate in the assembly of a single watch.
- Every Shinola watch is built in Detroit with Swiss and other imported parts.
INDUSTRY LEADING GUARANTEES: We hold ourselves to high quality standards, and we’re proud to offer a limited lifetime warranty on our core watch styles. Also best-in-class, our 3-year limited warranty on our Detrola Watch Collection is another testament to our core values.
THE LIMITED LIFETIME GUARANTEE: Because we hold ourselves to high quality standards, every Shinola watch is guaranteed for life under our limited lifetime warranty. It’s an industry-leading guarantee and a testament to our core values.
Leather Watch Straps
- In May 2014, Shinola announced the opening of our in-house leather factory.
- The 14,000-square-foot Shinola Leather Factory produces the majority of our watch straps, using traditional labor-intensive methods as well as high-tech custom-made Italian machinery.
- Most of our leather strap styles are cut, sewn and painted in our Detroit factory.
- On average, more than 30 steps and up to 4 layers of materials are required to make one of our straps.
- It takes approximately 30 minutes to manufacture each strap.
- Our factory cuts and sews up to 550 leather watch straps per day.
- We’ve partnered with a hand-selected group of manufacturers both in America and overseas to achieve our full production at scale.
- We source leather from some of the world’s finest tanneries.
- We are committed to only working with partners in leather production that share our unwavering commitment to quality.
- The 14” Runwell Wall Clock is built in the United States with U.S. and imported parts.
- We work with Auto-Cast Inc. in Grandville, Michigan for the wall clock cases. The dials are from Mcloone in La Crosse, Wisconsin and the crystal is manufactured by Sinclair Glass in Hartford City, Indiana.
- Inspired by the very first watch we built in Detroit, the Runwell Wall Clock is distinguished by our signature modern American aesthetic.
- The Shinola 6” desk clocks are manufactured by our seasoned international partners.
- All wall clocks and desk clocks are assembled in our Detroit factory.
The Shinola Hotel
The first Shinola Hotel is a symbol of skill at the largest scale, a dream built with steel and strengthened with teamwork.
- The Shinola Hotel stands eight stories tall on the 1400 block of Woodward Avenue.
- The boutique hotel has 129 rooms, upscale event spaces and fine dining and shopping all around.
- Shinola and Detroit-based commercial real estate firm Bedrock work with partners selected for their Detroit roots and Michigan connections to craft memorable experiences for guests.
The Shinola Hotel
- Seven Food & Beverage Venues on Hotel Property
- Relaxing Lounge Spaces
- Daily Housekeeping
- Concierge Service
- Unique Room Layouts
- 24-Hour Room Service
- Shinola Woodward Store
- Bike Rentals
- 16,000 Sq. Ft. of Curated Retail
The Journal is home to Shinola news and events, including original content that celebrates the people, places and things that inspire us. We chronicle the stories of local makers and global groundbreakers that share our commitment to quality and craftsmanship.