Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Location: Detroit, MI
The Chief Operating Officer is responsible for managing all operational functions of the company. The COO participates and contributes in the development of the strategic growth of the company.
Through a respectful, constructive and energetic style, guided by the objectives of the company, the COO provides the leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that the company has the correct operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures and systems in place to effectively grow the organization while ensuring financial strength and operating efficiency.
General duties and responsibilities:
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management to ensure all resources of the company are effectively coordinated to produce quality products and systems and efficiently manage all areas of the operation.
- Develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and personnel designed to accommodate the rapid growth objectives of the organization.
- Develop the manufacturing, pre-production and production assembly procedures, guaranteeing the highest standards of operations and ensuring that products conform to established customer and company quality standards.
- Develop and manage the warehouse and distribution strategies, identify, and evaluate suppliers domestically and internationally, and make appropriate recommendations to senior management.
- Develop and manage partnerships with international and domestic transportation freight forwarders, airlines and ground carriers.
- Responsible for managing the implementation of a new ERP system.
- Achieve optimum employee levels of efficiency with cost effective overhead and raw material costs to meet annual budgetary plan.
- Formulate and execute manufacturing policies and programs that guide the organization in maintaining and improving its competitive position and the company’s profitability.
- Direct and monitor management within the Detroit manufacturing facility to accomplish its goals. Act as liaison between management and employees, as well as the executive team to communicate decisions, policies and all matters that affect the operation.
- Work closely with the Hong Kong sourcing and manufacturing group.
- Hire, train, develop and evaluate staff. Take corrective action as necessary on a timely basis and in accordance with company policy. Ensure compliance with current federal, state and local regulations. Consult with Human Resources Department as appropriate.
- Identify, recommend and implement changes to improve productivity and manage cost. Direct the establishment, implementation and maintenance of production standards.
- Direct and coordinate various programs essential to manufacturing procedures (e.g., cost and shrink reduction, worker involvement and cross training, lean processes discipline and accountability, etc.).
- Manage the planning process; both from the component parts stand point and wholesale/retail distribution.
- Work effectively and constructively with all levels of Bedrock management while looking for synergistic opportunities across the various brands and companies.
- Work effectively and relate well with others. Exhibit a professional manner in dealing with others, working to maintain constructive working relationships.
- Motivate and lead a high performance management team; attract, recruit and retain highly talented individuals. Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within the company.
- Keep current on information and technology affecting functional areas to increase innovation and ensure compliance.
- 10+ years of experience as a senior operations leader (COO, VP Operations) within a multi faceted manufacturing environment is required, preferably in a process-oriented operations and/or related industry.
- Experience with ERP business process and implementation
- BA/BS in engineering, industrial, mechanical degree required.
- Master degree in related field preferred.
Note: Shinola is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Our Detroit workspace was converted from a raw warehouse into a stunning combined office and watch factory inside the storied Alfred A. Taubman Building—which once housed GM’s legendary design teams—above the College for Creative Studies. We are located in the New Center area of Detroit, a rapidly-changing city that is brimming with grassroots energy.